Terrell Hills is a city in Bexar County, Texas, United States; it is located 5 miles (8 km) northeast of downtown San Antonio. As of the 2010 census Terrell Hills had a population of 4,878. It is part of a group of three cities — Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights, and Olmos Park — located between Uptown San Antonio, Midtown San Antonio, Downtown San Antonio, and Fort Sam Houston (a U.S. Army post). Terrell Hills is bordered on the west by Alamo Heights, on the east by Fort Sam Houston, on the north by Uptown San Antonio, and on the south by San Antonio's Near East Side. It is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The community is named after Dr. Frederick Terrell, a local bank president who had served as mayor of San Antonio in 1901. Development of the community began in 1919, when Dr. Terrell sold 22.5 acres (9.1 ha) of property to a private association called the Terrell Hills Community. This organization managed the community until 1939, when it incorporated as a municipality. In 1945, the City of San Antonio attempted to annex the new municipality without permitting an election in either Terrell Hills or San Antonio, but Terrell Hills successfully sued to block the annexation. Twelve years later, in 1957, the community adopted a home rule charter
- For Sale+2 more
- More Filters
- Save Search